David L. Liebow
David L. Liebow has devoted his legal career to one thing: getting results.
David is an experienced and relentless lawyer based in Rochester, Minnesota who defends people in all stages of the criminal process, from investigation to trial to appeals to remedying the damaging consequences of criminal cases (through processes like expungement and gun rights restoration).
You can feel confident putting your trust in David knowing his criminal and appellate litigation experience. David is a well-known presence in courts throughout southeastern Minnesota, particularly in Olmsted County, Dodge County, Wabasha County, Winona County, Fillmore County, and Mower County. He has experience trying and winning cases from misdemeanor theft to felony criminal sexual conduct. He is also one of the more experienced appellate litigators in southeastern Minnesota, having handled nearly two dozen appeals. Among David’s appellate cases is State v. S.A.M., a first-of-its-kind criminal expungement case which resulted in oral argument before, and published decisions by, the Minnesota Court of Appeals and the Minnesota Supreme Court.
David has long ties to the Rochester, Minnesota community. Born in Illinois, he was raised in Rochester, Minnesota and attended Rochester schools, graduating from Mayo High School. David attended the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities and graduated in 2008, double majoring in political science and psychology. David then went on to attend the University of Minnesota Law School, one of the top-ranked law schools in the country. During law school, David published a scholarly work on the state of Breathalyzer source code challenges to DWI cases in Minnesota.
Before founding Liebow & Liebling, PLLC, David worked for another private law firm in Rochester, where he also concentrated on criminal defense and appeals. Before that, he was a St. Paul-based judicial law clerk for the Honorable J. Thomas Mott in Ramsey County District Court. During law school, he served as a certified student attorney for the Ramsey County Public Defender’s Office, representing hundreds of criminal defendants charged with everything from driving offenses to theft to assault to murder.
David’s deep involvement in the legal community demonstrates the respect which he has earned from other lawyers. David currently serves as president of the Third District Bar Association and as a board member of the Olmsted County Bar Association. David also belongs to the Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) and has served as a volunteer attorney for Legal Assistance of Olmsted County. David regularly teaches a clinic on criminal expungement through the Olmsted County Law Library and Legal Assistance of Olmsted County. He has been asked to speak for continuing legal education on criminal expungement, criminal records, appeals, orders for protection/harassment restraining orders, and law practice ethics. David’s extensive volunteer work has been recognized with his being named a North Star Lawyer in 2014 and 2016 by the MSBA.
David has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star for 2017.
- Criminal Defense
- DUI/DWI Defense
- Criminal Expungement
- Criminal Forfeiture
- Criminal Investigations
- Gun Rights Restoration
- License Defense
- Orders for Protection/Harassment Restraining Orders
- Family Law
- 100% of Practice Dedicated to Litigation
- Minnesota Supreme Court (2011)
- United States District Court for the District of Minnesota (2013)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit (2017)
- University of Minnesota Law School (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- Juris Doctorate (2011)
- Minnesota Journal of Law, Science & Technology, Managing Editor (2010-2011), Staff Member (2009-2010)
- University of Minnesota – Twin Cities (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
- Bachelor of Arts (2008)
- Double Major in Psychology and Political Science
- Minnesota State Bar Association (Member, 2011-Present)
- Olmsted County Bar Association (Member, 2013-Present) (Board Member, 2015-Present)
- Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Member, 2014-Present)
- Minnesota Criminal Expungement Taskforce (Member, 2015-Present)
- Third District Bar Association (President, 2016-2017)
- Eighth Circuit Bar Association (2017-Present)
Pro Bono Work
- Legal Assistance of Olmsted County (Volunteer Attorney, 2013-Present)
- Olmsted County Law Library/Legal Assistance of Olmsted County Expungement Clinic (2014-Present)